Voter Guide: Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging

Hey Gators, don’t vote without knowing about your candidates. GAP is pleased to offer the GA community our first ever Forum voter guide. Essential reading for the upcoming Charter Day elections.

Madison Drummond

Hi everyone! My name is Madison Drummond and I’m running to be your DEIB President. I wanted to run because being a new high school student at GA can be tough. Sometimes you may feel as though you don’t fit in or that GA may not be the right place for you. I felt this way too. However, I applied because I wanted to attend this school and I got accepted because I have a purpose—to be your DEIB President. I decided if I didn’t feel included, if I didn’t feel like I belonged, then I would just make it myself. I put myself out there and I ran for multiple diversity positions, including DEI grade rep, Black Student Union Vice President, and DOPE club Junior President. Holding these positions and planning events for these positions made me realize how much I do love providing for everyone with fun and engaging events that will all bring us together. I love each and every one of you and I wish to keep working alongside you all in the future as your DEIB President! #VOTEFORMADISON

Aanya Jaiswal

I’m Aanya, and I am running for DEIB president. DEIB has been such an important part of my high school experience. I was a grade representative for two years and I learned and grew so much from my time on the board. As president, I hope to provide this experience to others in the GA community. I want to encourage more involvement in DEIB programming like round table discussions and affinity groups, so more people can engage with the board. DEIB does a great job of organizing events and promoting diversity, but I want to increase the engagement from the whole student body. As DEIB president I will do my best to make sure that everyone feels comfortable participating in our events and discussions. I won’t let you fall, vote Aanya Jaiswal!

Salma Thomas

As one of the very few (if not only) Muslim students at GA, I never really felt represented in our community. Diversity holds a special place in my heart, and my appreciation for different cultures and traditions has seeped into all aspects of my life. From taking two languages, traveling, and attempting to learn more about the world from a more nuanced perspective, I’ve learned that staying quiet and trying to watch others make change isn’t an ideal situation to become accustomed to. Change comes from growth, and I believe that I have the insight to help our school take the right steps forward to become the inclusive, loving, and vibrant school it has the potential to be.