Introducing…Ms. Hazlett!

GA’s New Head of School Gives GAP the Exclusive!
Introducing%E2%80%A6Ms.+Hazlett%21

Meet Ms. Hazlett: an outdoor enthusiast, triathlete, and Greenwich Academy’s new Head of School. She’s super excited to be starting with us in the fall! Just like she can’t wait to get to know all of you, I’m sure you are eager to know more about her. To learn about her favorite foods, music, and more, continue reading below.

This interview has been edited for clarity.

Starting off with a question I think a lot of students are asking, how do we pronounce your last name? Is it HAYZ-let or HAZ-let?
The first one is right. It is HAYZ-let!

What are some of your hobbies?
I love the outdoors, so I love camping. I just went camping this summer in Olympic National Park in Washington State. I also do triathlons, which include a lot of swimming and biking, so I love that. I ski and hike as well. I also love going to the theater and seeing live music.

You said you liked to listen to live music, what is your favorite type of music?
Yes, and I also love to dance. I love all types of music—Motown is great.

Did you play any sports growing up, do you still do any of those?
Yes, I did play a lot of sports. I was a swimmer, I played tennis, I did shotput and discus. I also rowed for a year in college. Like I said, I also do a lot of triathlons now, and open water swimming was really what led me to triathlons.

Do you have a favorite book, movie, or show?
Oh, this is so hard. I do have a favorite author—Ann Patchett. She’s done a bunch of good stuff. As for a movie, I just saw Oppenheimer and thought it was great.

What’s your favorite food? Do you cook at all?
Yes, I do like to cook. I love corn on the cob. I really like Asian food. I spent some time in Japan and Thailand. I especially like Thai food.

What is your family like? What are your kids up to?
My daughter, Sarah, is 20 and living in Portland, Maine. She’s really into politics, so I’ve gone to a lot of political rallies with her. She also really likes history, so I’ve gone to a lot of historic sites with her. My son, Cameron, is 18, and will be at Case Western this fall playing soccer there. He’s into business, history, and philosophy.

Do you have any pets?
I don’t have any pets now, but a dog is definitely in my future. I grew up with dogs. I also used to have two goldfish!

What is a favorite trip you have been on? What are some favorite things you’ve done this summer?
I love to travel. Lake Placid, New York, is great. I remember going there a few years ago to race in a 70.3 half Ironman race. I was not there for the 1980 Olympics (I did watch it on tv!); there’s such a historical significance there. I also love Ocean Park, Maine—it’s my happy place. A recent find in Greenwich has been Tod’s point! I love all the birds and trails there.

What has been your favorite spot in Greenwich so far? I know you mentioned Tod’s Point, do you have any others?
I’ve been going to the Wednesday night concerts in town, I just joined the YWCA where I’ve been swimming in the morning. I also went to Binney Park to see the fireworks in July.

When did you know you wanted to have a career in education? Did you think about any other career paths when you were in high school or college?
So, I thought I wanted to be an architect in high school, but when I went to college I realized I didn’t like architecture enough to make my college experience all about it. When I was in college, I got involved in student government and got to work with a lot of the faculty. I also had a great experience at my high school, Shady Side. From there, I realized education was my calling and pursued that.

I also read that you taught in Japan and Thailand just after college, can you tell me more about that?
Oh my gosh, it was the best experience. I recommend any student to take advantage of living abroad. You become immersed in a new culture and community, you can reflect on your own values as you listen to the people in your host country. I mean, it wasn’t easy. I had to leave home and go somewhere completely new, but it really builds resiliency and openness.

What was your favorite GA event you attended last year?
Ingathering was so beautiful, just watching the whole school community coming together in that ritual, and I also love Thanksgiving. I’m also very excited to see Opening Day.

Is there any idea you upheld at Franklin & Marshall that you want to embody at GA?
I really value embodying school spirit, which is why I love how GA has a Spirit Week. I also really want to prioritize wellness. Not only learning about wellness, but practicing it.

What are you most excited for this year?
I’m really excited to get to know the students and their families. Also, to look more into the interdisciplinary efforts at GA. I’m looking forward to the coordinate program with Brunswick, as well as building relationships with other schools.

Is there anything else you’d like to add or say to the broader GA community?
I hope everybody shares my excitement for this year ahead! I really want to emphasize that theme of excitement.