Greenwich Academy Press

The Student News Site of Greenwich Academy

Greenwich Academy Press

Greenwich Academy Press

Fall Sports Update: GAtors Close Strong

After a busy and exciting fall sports season, the GAtors are heading into the winter season with some impressive accomplishments under their belts. With plenty of exciting games, matches, regattas, and meets, read on to learn more about the athletic achievements and success at GA this fall!

Crew
After competing in the Head of the Charles, Head of the Schuylkill, and Philadelphia Frostbite Regatta, the crew team wraps up the season with plenty of fun experiences and successful outcomes. Featuring a much younger team than usual, the senior captains Kristen Isherwood and Juhi Desai led the team to awesome performances throughout fall, creating lots of excitement for the winter crew training season and spring season in 2024.

Cross Country
The cross country team had an incredible season. With a bunch of meets throughout the fall, their season culminated in the FAA championship meet, where GA took home the FAA title after impressive performances by Maddy Lee and Lily Lyons. Lyons won the FAA race placing first, followed closely by Lee who registered the impressive second finish at FAAs. In their last meet of the season at New England’s, Lily Lyons again finished first and set a course-record time. At the end of the day, GA placed tenth in New England, an amazing accomplishment to cap off a super successful season.

Field Hockey
The field hockey team saw an exciting end to their season, however bittersweet it was. Supported by an amazing crowd of GA fans in their FAA championship game against Sacred Heart, GA took the win on King Street in an exciting 2-0 game, getting revenge for their previous loss to Sacred Heart earlier in the season, earning the win in a full team effort. Despite losing to Andover in the NEPSAC quarterfinal game played at Deerfield, the team can be proud of its awesome wins against teams like Deerfield, Kent, and Loomis Chaffee.

Soccer
After an up and down season with a ton of competitive games, the GA soccer team headed into the FAA postseason with great momentum from exciting games against Loomis Chaffee and St. Luke’s. In the first round of the FAA tournament, the team beat GCDS 3-0 at GCDS, earning revenge for their earlier loss to the Tigers. In their final game, soccer lost to Greens Farms Academy, playing a tough 3-2 match against what ended up being the best team in New England. Overall, the soccer team showed grit and determination as it battled through the season, making next season one to look forward to.

Volleyball
This year’s volleyball team, led by captains Mariana Marti and Casey Brower, was certainly one to remember. With wins against Berkshire, Choate, Kent, and GFA, the Gators headed into the FAA tournament with momentum and excitement for the upcoming games. After beating RCDS in the first round, GA ultimately lost to King in the next round, but qualified for New England’s along the way. Despite playing competitively and with tons of spirit, GA fell to crosstown rival Sacred Heart in the first round of NEPSAC play, putting an end to an amazing season