Greenwich Academy Press

The Student News Site of Greenwich Academy

Greenwich Academy Press

Greenwich Academy Press

Reliable Sources

Where to get serious and credible coverage of the Israel-Hamas war.
Reliable+Sources

Like so many of us, we at GAP are feeling a little overwhelmed by current events. So much media, but which to trust? Lucky for us, we had an ace history department to turn to. Way better than Google! Here’s what chair Lulu Sandes had to say.

—Grace Genereux ’24

Lulu Sandes: I like to look beyond the American media for world news, including the current crisis.

• A few standards that have good podcast options, as well as online magazines are The Economist and the BBC.
  • For local perspectives, some Middle Eastern sources are available in English. The Jerusalem Post and Haaretz are two established, widely read Israeli newspapers with print and digital editions; Al Jazeera English is based in Doha and is part of the largest news network in the Middle East and North Africa.
  • If you are looking for a book as an entry point, I recommend The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict by Dov Waxman from Oxford University Press’s “What Everyone Needs to Know” series. We use this in my Modern Middle East class and it is organized in a really easy to follow question and answer format.
  • Lastly, if you are someone who really only gets their news from social media, I recommend Mo News. Mosheh Ouinonou has decades of experience as a TV news producer and launched his independent company in 2020. He covers all topics, practices responsible journalism, and is well versed in this particular topic.