Greenwich Academy Press

The Student News Site of Greenwich Academy

Greenwich Academy Press

Greenwich Academy Press

Driving Ambition

Yearning for your permit? Learn from us!
Driving+Ambition

One highly anticipated part of going through the Upper School is finally being able to drive! However, in Connecticut, one prerequisite to getting your license is getting a permit. This includes taking (and passing) the permit test. From the perspective of someone who has failed their test and someone who has passed, here are some DOs and DON’Ts to optimize your chance of passing!

DO:

1. STUDY!
    One common misconception that I have heard is that the permit test is easy and you do not need to study. This is what I believed, and I failed! Don’t make my mistake. Study.
  2. Use online practice tests
    Many online practice tests take direct questions from the real test. I recommend completing at least 5 practice tests (I used the green Connecticut DMV App.) If you do this, I guarantee you will recognize the majority of the questions given to you on the actual test.
  3. Look at your state’s driving manual!
    I know…this is a little extra and may seem like a waste of time, but trust me even just skimming through it will help you. This manual has every bit of information about driving that the practice tests do not necessarily have. It includes all of the details about road signs and fines, which is where people get stumped up most.

DON’T:

1. Start studying the night before
    Remember—not all tests are the same. Even if your friend told you hers was easy, yours could be very difficult. Play it safe! Be prepared!! If you fail, there is a fee to retake it.

Now you’ve passed your permit test! Yay! Unfortunately, there is still a lot more that needs to be done to get your license officially. The first step is deciding what program to sign up for on the course to receive your license. Below are two of the most popular driving schools based in Greenwich.

Tom’s or Green light?

Tom’s
If you are someone who has an extremely busy after-school schedule then I would recommend Tom’s. The requirements for Tom’s are a 2-hour parent/student session, eight hours behind the wheel (with an instructor), 15 Google online classroom videos, reading, and 10-question quizzes. You can complete this program in under four months. The nice thing about Tom’s is that you can alter your program plan depending on your schedule and watch videos/complete the activities on the go.

“Tom’s Driving School was amazing in helping me prepare for my driving test. We bought the package of four lessons that included the driving test at Tom’s and eight-hour online class. Linda and Tom are both so nice and will teach you everything you need to know for your exam!”

Fresh Green Light
If you are someone who is interested in a full in-depth explanation, then I would do Fresh Green Light. The requirements for Fresh Green Light are known to be more time-consuming than Tom’s. However, under this program, you will obtain full knowledge of everything you need to know about driving. Based on student reviews, several people find the program to be beneficial but the hours of the zooms only occur during “random times.” The zooms are usually two hours and the driving requirements consist of 20 hours of Zoom classes plus eight hours of driving lessons.

“I had a wonderful experience with Fresh Green Light. The instructors make you feel comfortable both on the road and in the classroom. I felt well prepared for my test, and I feel confident in understanding the rules of the road, thanks to Fresh Green Light,” said a previous student.

Hopefully now you are armed with all the tactics and skills you need to pass your permit test and have a great driving school experience. Happy driving!