Greenwich Academy Press

The Student News Site of Greenwich Academy

Greenwich Academy Press

Greenwich Academy Press

Midterms Study Tips: Maximizing your productivity

Most unfortunately, it’s that time of year again… midterms. There’s no way to sugarcoat it — they’re not fun, and the only way to get through them is to keep your head down and try your best to stay focused for the next two weeks. Luckily, you’ve got a ton of great resources at GA including teachers, fellow students, and other faculty. GAP is also trying to help, and we’ve put together a list of 5 study tips below in case you’re wondering where to start. Happy studying!

• Make a study schedule 
    • This doesn’t have to be perfect, but try and make a rough outline of what you want to get done each day leading up to your last exam. This will help you figure out how much work you need to do and what subjects you really need to prioritize. It will also prevent you from falling behind, as you’ll be able to see what you are going to need to do in the future. 
  • Use your old materials 
    • Your teachers will likely give you some review materials, but don’t be afraid to ask to review your old tests. It’s a good way to see what content you’re more shaky on, and what the teacher might ask of you on the exam. Also, see if you have any good extra practice from this past semester, like old worksheets or packets for example. 
  • Visit your teachers
    • If you have any questions about content, study tips, or the exam itself, don’t hesitate to ask your teacher! The review days at the end of this week might seem a little unnecessary, but it’s the perfect time to ask last minute questions, so don’t let them go to waste. I would also recommend attending any review sessions the teacher could be holding. They’re known to drop hints about the exam in those…
  • Create a productive setting
    • You want to be as productive as possible these next two weeks, which all starts a good study spot. It might seem like a good idea to study with your friends, but for most people, it’s quite distracting. Personally, I can’t even go to the library, as I tend to get too distracted by seeing people I know there. I also wouldn’t recommend studying with music… it may seem fun and energizing, but you’ll just end up singing along. And finally, keep your phone as far away from you as possible! Turn off those notifications, and keep it out of the room if you can. 
  • Take breaks!
    • Last, but most certainly not least, make sure to take breaks! This could be going outside, hanging out with friends or family, or taking some time to lie down and relax. This might seem counterintuitive, but I promise you’ll be more productive when you carve out some time away from studying.