Greenwich Academy Press

The Student News Site of Greenwich Academy

Greenwich Academy Press

Greenwich Academy Press

Rumors, Revisions & Riveting Performances

Unpacking GA’s production of ‘The Children’s Hour’
Behind the scenes at ‘The Children’s Hour.’

This winter, the GA theater department brought to life Lillian Hellman’s The Children’s Hour, a thoughtful work on the consequences of widespread rumors and homophobia.

The play required deeper discussions between the faculty, cast, and crew regarding the severity of the content and its importance, especially knowing the characters and their lives were based on a true story. This open dialogue fostered greater student involvement in shaping the overall production. Notably, Hellman revisited and revised her script nearly 20 years after its initial publication, when Communist witch-hunts were on the rise. Her message, she felt, was more important than ever before. Recognizing the enduring relevance of her message and after careful consideration of both versions, the cast opted for her later iteration.

Each member of our small cast and crew had a significant impact on the final production. Whether it was a thought on blocking, character development, lighting, or as I mentioned, the script itself, we all made the show what it was. After three months of rehearsals, the show closed February 23, leaving us immensely proud of the entire cast and crew for everything they put into it.

From Vicky, the sweetest person I know, playing our antagonist Mary, to Andrew, our sole Wick player, the cast brought such great energy with them to every rehearsal. I have always cherished the sense of community at GA, and this production was no exception. I absolutely love doing shows here because I know the cast will always be so welcoming and fun to work with.

If you are as excited as I am for what is next for GA theater, follow us on Instagram!