Faculty and Seniors: The Last Supper

This year, the Greenwich Academy administration and faculty have added a new event to the seniors’ end of year schedule: a Senior-Faculty dinner. The dinner, brainchild of Mr. Mark Feiner, will serve as a relaxed environment for teachers and students to interact, and will pay tribute to years of hard work on the part of students and teachers alike.

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 9.18.38 PM
greenwichacademy.org

The dinner will take place on the evening of Monday, May 19. Although this is its inaugural year, Mrs. Laura Canning, Group XII Dean, hopes it will continue and “become a GA tradition.”

After noticing other schools with a similar tradition, such as Greenwich Country Day School and Brunswick School, the GA administration decided to add it in.

“School is about the conversion between teachers and students, and it’s nice to acknowledge that,” said Mr. Tom Sullivan, Upper School Head.

Now that there is no longer a large athletic banquet at the end of the year (we now have three smaller banquets throughout the year, one for each season), there was time available for this new event.

But the Senior-Faculty Dinner bears little resemblance to the formerly annual Spring Athletic Banquet. No awards will be given out at the dinner and parents will not be in attendance.

Mr. Sullivan, Mrs. Canning, and Ms. Elle Tarrant are organizing the dinner. The kitchen, led by Ms. Meghan Lukeman, will prepare the food. It will be “a really excellent menu,” Sullivan said; he adds that this was an important component in planning the event.

The seniors will sit by advisory, with lower, middle, and upper school faculty interspersed. A few teachers in each division will speak to the entire Class of 2014, and then there will be an open mic for the girls.

The goal of the dinner is for students and faculty simply to be with each other in a non-academic setting, to relax, and to reflect. With academic stress fading away, the student-teacher bonds still stand strong. The dinner reflects the relaxed attitude of senior spring and the strength of the GA community.