Greenwich Academy Press

The Student News Site of Greenwich Academy

Greenwich Academy Press

Greenwich Academy Press

Can Bears and Gators Mingle?

It’s time to acknowledge the elephant in the room. There is a clear gender division in most classes at both Greenwich Academy and Brunswick School campuses. For a lot of students, this distinction began on the first day of freshman year when, for some girls and boys, this was the first time they had ever been in co-ed classes.

However, the gender separation in the classroom that might have seemed to be the result of first-day jitters persisted throughout the rest of the year. Although not all classes are divided, the gender boundaries are a common trait among many classrooms: girls sit on one side and boys, another.

It has become accepted among students. In fact, many classes go as far as enforcing the unspoken rule of assigned seats. The desk you choose on the first day of school may end up being your assigned seat until May.

Claire Robins, Group XI, remarks, “I noticed that there is a big separation whenever I have class, but I actually do like mixing with the guys because it helps remove the barrier between the two schools.” It’s doesn’t appear that anyone actually minds the separation, but the general preference would be to mingle.

“I would like to see change in … the segregation in genders because it will help the students be able to adjust more in life situations they’re uncomfortable with,” said Joseph Jimenez, X.

“I think guys think it’s pretty weird; I have some classes that are really cool where some are together, but it’s really divided, but I prefer when it’s together,” said Kirk Meyer, XI.

Both sexes seem willing for a change, but nothing seems to be happening. Who’s supposed to make the first move? “So watching TV I always see guys always making the first move to girls, even if it involved saying hi, so that’s why I want the separation to vanish at GA,” said Sarah Saco, XI.

Some people have their opinions that it should be the boys making an effort, but really, if we want things to change there needs to be a mutual consensus. The awkwardness must be eliminated, because there’s nothing wrong with mingling.

Nico Wada, XI, says, “I think it’s just what makes our school unusual because in other schools it’s not the case. Because even in fifth grade at public school, boys and girls would sit next to each other and reach out.”

Maybe Nico’s right. If fifth graders can do it, why not us? The truth is we might, myself included, be afraid to just break the ice.

But try it. Take a chance and mingle: it may not be as awkward as your first seventh grade Happenings!

Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 3.19.24 PM