Sunday Routine: Ms. Holzschuh

Sunday is a day of relaxation, recuperation, and preparation for the week ahead. For Ms. Sarah Holzschuh, English teacher, Community Service Head, and GA alum, a “Sunday routine” isn’t always a routine in the strictest sense of the word; her Sundays are quiet and casual.

Filled with grading, exercise in the park, friends, and food, Sundays usually begin “around 8 or 8:30” for Ms. Holszchuh. “Saturday is my lazy day,” she laughs, “and Sunday is my early day.” Someone has to grade those papers.

Ms. Holzschuh usually makes breakfast on Sundays because she has the time, one of her favorite dishes being homemade oatmeal with almond milk and peanut butter. Some days, however, call for a drawn out brunch – a meal New York City is well known for.

Among her favorite spots to eat are Jacob’s Pickles, a Southern comfort food style restaurant, or the more modern Park, located in Chelsea. After breakfast, Ms. Holzschuh likes to ease into the day by watching some television. Her favorite Sunday morning program is Meet the Press, a weekly talk show about politics and public affairs.

“I’m not a political junkie or anything,” she assures me, “but I do love Meet the Press.” Another one of her typical Sunday morning activities is reviewing her favorite fashion blogs, as she is a “dedicated reader” and loves to catch up on the latest posts.

Ms. Holzschuh always finds time to get outside on Sundays; she may run in Central Park or walk on the High Line. When she doesn’t have much work to do, Ms. Holzschuh loves to head to an art museum for a daily dose of culture. Her favorite is the Guggenheim, as it is located fairly close to her apartment.

At the end of the day, Ms. Holzschuh usually makes a home-cooked dinner. Now that the weather is getting colder, she likes to cook hot meals, such as chili, that take “all afternoon” to make.

Ms. Holzschuh expressed some worry that her Sunday routine seemed “boring” compared to others’, but I think we can all agree that homemade oatmeal, T.V., Central Park, and art museums are slightly more intriguing than hours of A.P. homework.