Pippin: Broadway Comes to GA

Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 8.43.16 PM
The Greenwich Academy and Brunswick communities are in for a treat this November 20, 21, and 22, when students will bring the Broadway musical, Pippin, to Massey’s center stage.

In a vivacious story of revolution, drama and nobility the protagonist is a young prince who sets out on his journey seeking passion and adventure. GA’s production will feature sophomore Andrew Kelly in the leading role as Pippin.

The upcoming musical promises something for all interests. It combines great acting with singing, Fosse-inspired dancing, a myriad of costumes, and an all-around engaging cast. Additionally, students from all grades, representing the Upper School’s wide-ranging artistic ability, fill both ensemble and leading roles.

“The cast is studded with Madrigals, as well as members of Bel Canto and Brunswick’s Music Improv,” says Ridgely Knapp, Group XI, who is King Charlemagne in the show.

The show’s dancing, choreographed by Darren Drittel, Group XI, will further supplement the talented singers. “The dancing in the show is an absolute blast. It’s the first time GA is doing a show with big dance numbers…and it definitely adds a lot to it,” enthuses Fastrada-playing actress Charlotte Stone, XII.

Not only does Pippin have great music, but its storyline is also engaging and emotional, running the gamut from the humorous, to the dark, to the sentimental.

“The audience should be expecting some really good comedic aspects, but there are also a lot of serious moments,” says Sarah Gold, XI, who plays Pippin’s love interest, Catherine.

As the thirty-second longest running Broadway show, Pippin is highly decorated. Its 2013 revival, for example, received several Tony awards: including one each for Best Actress in a Musical and Best Direction of a Musical. With its many accolades, some might question how any high school performance can possibly live up to the Broadway original.

With drama teacher Mr. Brian Borowka and Gospel Choir director Ms. Erica McCants leading a dedicated, enthusiastic cast, however, GA’s production of Pippin is on its way to being great.

In response to growing anticipation about the show, Mr. Borowka says, “The audience can look forward to a fun show with great music, wonderful costumes…a bit of intrigue, and a relatable message.”