Cool Beans & Hot Spots

Keeping Tabs on Local Java Joints & Jive

School starting again means several things for me: My weekends will become significantly less fun, my bedtimes will extend into the night, and I will once again be a regular face in a number of cafes in Greenwich and Darien. Come with me as I share some new and not-so-new developments in the coffee world!

Before we begin, I feel the need to make one thing clear—I am very much not a hot coffee drinker. Even in the middle of Connecticut’s coldest winters, with snow piling up on the Path, I can be spotted clutching an iced latte on the way to class. So, of course, the “iced vs hot” debate doesn’t exist for me. I will always be asking baristas if they offer their signature drinks cold.

Despite my allegiance to cold drinks, I always ask for less ice in my drinks—especially in the summertime. It makes for less of a sad watery mess when the cubes inevitably melt. Bonus: More drink in your cup!

Your promised summertime coffee updates:

Starbucks launched a drink with olive oil in it. Their new Oleato beverage line was released in 15 states, with Connecticut being one! Three olive-oil infused drinks are available: the Oleato Caffe Latte (a latte with oat milk, espresso, and olive oil), the Oleato Iced Shaken Espresso (oat milk and espresso with tastes of hazelnut), and the Oleato Golden Foam Cold Brew (an addition to their cold foam line). I have not tried these drinks—and, unfortunately, don’t plan to. Some Starbucks fans have noted that the drinks aren’t the best for their sensitive stomachs. If any of you are feeling adventurous in the Starbucks on the Ave, though, please give them a try and let us know what you think!

Gregory’s has been promising a cafe in Darien in the newly constructed Darien Commons. I’ve personally driven past the building, which boasts the same iconic black-and-white coloring that the location on the Ave does. It is not, however, open for business yet. Gregory’s Instagram assured us that the location would open in August, but their website simply says that it is “coming soon.” Regardless of when it opens, I anticipate many after-school stops.

Neat Coffee in Darien has a great summer menu! I very much enjoy the Blackberry Vanilla Latte, which I order with oat milk and less ice, as always. They’re also hiring right now, so if anyone’s looking to fulfill their cool-barista-in-a-cute-cafe dreams, take a look at Neat’s website.

Maman is a beautiful cafe and bakery that opened on the Ave! They serve food, pastries, and coffee in the most elegant blue-and-white tableware. Very summer-in-France. They also have locations in New York City! Enjoy a croissant, latte, and pretend to be in Europe for a while.

That’s all for summer coffee news! Seems like the centuries-old beverage can still surprise us. Stay tuned for a possible autumn Coffee Update—will I finally try a pumpkin spice latte?