Faculty Spotlight: Luke Butterworth

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 6.23.44 PMMr. Luke Butterworth, Greenwich Academy’s new Director of Squash, competed in his first professional squash tournament at the age of seventeen in Nimes, France. After moving from England to the United States five and a half years ago, Mr. Butterworth participated in twenty-seven world tourevents, including tours of South America, Europe, and the United States. From there, he went on to coach for Greenwich’s Round Hill Club as well as for the National Team of Paraguay. Today, when not listening to The Kooks or Oasis, Mr. Butterworth can be found reading up on sporting biographies or supporting his hometown “football” team, Huddersfield Town.

If you had ten seconds to convince the Queen of England to take up squash, what would you say?

[Squash] was voted the world’s healthiest sport in Forbes magazine. It’s fast, it’s furious, and it’s just a good game to be involved in athletics-wise. You’re going to get such a great workout in a short space of time.

Do you miss anything about England?

Haribo sweets, Sunday roast, and full English breakfasts.

What’s your most favorite American food?

Buffalo wings. You don’t get that in England, and I like the taste of it.

Least favorite?

Peanut Butter is beyond disgusting! The smell, texture, taste…

How do you define a champion?

I believe a champion needs to have the qualities of not only a good athlete and competitor but also of a great person. I think it’s really important to be a champion both on and off the court… One good example would be Roger Federer. I can’t find one person in the world who doesn’t like him.

Which single memory surrounding squash would you rescue from being destroyed?

Walking into a stadium full of 60,000 people for the opening ceremony of the Pan American games in Guadalajara, Mexico in 2011. I was the National Coach for Paraguay. We went on to win a medal in the doubles event, and the whole experience is one that I shall never forget.

What would you say is the nicest place you’ve been for squash?

The views from Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro and looking down and thinking, Wow I’m actually in Brazil. I think it’s a really cool place… everyone seems pretty happy there, especially on the beaches.

Would you rather lose a finger or toe?

Well, seeing as my hand is my living, I’d give up a toe… and people see my hands more than they see my toes.

What’s your favorite word in the English dictionary?

“Ledge,” not as in a window ledge, but as a slang term for “Legend.” Apparently, I use that a lot.

What are your expectations for the team this season?

As long as all the girls are respecting the coaches and each other and they put the time and effort in, then I’m sure it’s going to be a successful year for everyone, and I’m really excited to be a part of it.