How to Help!

Cordelia Weld ‘22, Staff Writer

image via HealthTransformer

These unprecedented times have come with many challenges. Normal routines have been thrown out of the window, and though school continues, one of the best parts of school, seeing friends, is no longer a part of the day. Most of us are battling feelings of loneliness, anxiety, and helplessness. Despite all of the craziness going on in the world right now, you can alleviate some anxiety and helplessness by helping out your community. You can make masks, fundraise for small businesses, support local food banks, and most importantly, social distance! Below are some ways that you can help:  

Supporting Local Restaurants

Many restaurants have started GoFundMe fundraisers to support their staff during this time, but if you do not want to make a monetary donation, then you can see which restaurants or businesses are still open. Get take out from your favorite restaurant. This is the best way to support places that you love. Most restaurants are open for takeaway, so please support them as much as you can!

Donate to Local Food Banks

Currently, more than 35 million people in the United States are struggling to find enough to eat. With unemployment rates skyrocketing, many people are relying on food banks to survive. Unfortunately, food banks are being forced to ration supplies due to a lack of resources. If you stocked up on WAY too much food and supplies in preparation for quarantine, consider donating to one of these pantries. One local food bank to donate to is the Food Bank of Lower Fairfield County which is located in Stamford. This is the link to their website: https://www.foodbanklfc.org/. If this food bank is too far away, then consider looking up food banks near you. Most are in desperate need of supplies or monetary donations.

Donate Medical Supplies

If you have any extra unopened medical supplies at home, most hospitals are accepting donations. Items such as gloves, disposable head covers, and surgical gowns are best. Most of us do not have N95 respirators lying around our houses, but if you do, consider donating it. Hospital workers are risking their own and their families’ lives every single day to help fight the coronavirus, and they desperately need this equipment! 

You can also make your own masks! If you have fabric and a sewing machine, or even a needle and thread you can make DIY masks. Below is the link to the pattern which hospitals prefer:

https://www.craftpassion.com/wp-json/mv-create/v1/creations/19/print

Additionally, here is the link to Greenwich Hospital’s page on how to help out with Covid-19: https://giving.greenhosp.org/covid-19-resources/

Reach Out to a Friend

If you are feeling lonely during this time, don’t hesitate to reach out to a friend. You are not burdening them with your struggles. And it can be a two-way street. Consider checking in on your friends to see how they are doing. I know that my frequent chats with friends have been the highlights of my quarantine!

Stay safe everyone!