Quarantine TV Recommendations

Anya Menon ‘21, Staff Writer, and Cordelia Weld ‘22, Staff Writer

Everyone has been searching for ways to fill time during quarantine and for many, TV shows have become the perfect source of amusement. As many feel like they’ve watched every show or movie existing on Netflix (I know we have), we decided to send out a survey to GA students in order to hear about their recommendations and favorites. Some of these shows are well-known and, if you haven’t watched them yet, you absolutely should. Some of these shows were more obscure, and we can’t wait to start them. Hopefully, you can find something on this list you haven’t watched yet that you love as you continue to stay safe until our town can reopen again!

Outer Banks

Average Rating: 4.7 stars

Where to Watch: Netflix

Summary:
The story basically follows a group of teens called the “pogues” and their quest to make money by finding the gold of an ancient shipwreck. It is based on the Outer Banks off the coast of North Carolina but is filmed in Charleston. A vital plot point is conflict between the islanders; the “pogues,” who are more working class, and the “kooks,” who are described as “rich second homers,” have an ongoing feud with each other that essentially boils down to a class war. The show captures your attention from episode one, and you cannot put your computer down. There’s action, camaraderie, and a little romance which all intertwine into this exhilarating plot.

Reviews
★ “ SO SO GOOD. watching it for the second time right now.”

★ “This show is INCREDIBLE, but it makes me miss the beach. 10/10 would recommend.”

★ “I watched it in 8 hours. if that doesn’t tell you how good it is idk what will.”

★ “best. show. ever. don’t get too attached bc season 2 ain’t coming for a year.”

★ “Really attractive and fun guys go on a treasure hunt.”

The Office

Average Rating: 5 stars

Where to Watch: Netflix

Summary:
A mockumentary about a group of typical office workers where the workday consists of ego clashes, inappropriate behavior, and tedium. A mediocre paper company is in the hands of Scranton, PA branch manager Michael Scott.

Reviews:
★ “Absolutely fantastic show.”

★ “10/10. Nothing better. Every episode is entertaining. But don’t judge it after the first episode, you really have to get through season one before it gets good.”
★ “Very funny, and there are short episodes so you don’t have to invest too much time in it.”

Veronica Mars

Average Rating: 5 stars

Where to Watch: Hulu

Summary:“ A snarky teen investigator solves mysteries in a super-rich California town. It takes place in the early 2000s and is super funny (the outfits) but often a little politically incorrect. In the first season, Veronica tries to solve the mystery of who murdered her best friend.”

Reviews:

★ “I absolutely love this show. Like. So much.”

Gilmore Girls

Average Rating: 4.5 stars

Where to Watch : Netflix

Summary: “It’s a feel-good comedy about a teenage girl and her single mom. They’re best friends, and the show revolves around their lives in a small town in Connecticut called Stars Hollow.

Reviews :

★ “It’s one of my all-time favorite shows. There are 7 seasons, and each episode is 40 min long, so you’ve got to commit to it, but once you do, it’s great. The storyline continues throughout all the episodes, so it’s easy to get hooked and keep watching.” -Eliza Bowman ‘20
★ “Not much happens, but it’s so nice and comforting and funny.” -Laurel Pitts ‘20

Unorthodox

Average Rating: 5 stars

Where to Watch : Netflix

Summary: Nineteen-year-old Hasidic Jewish girl from New York who runs away from her community to live in Berlin in hopes of being free from the restrictions of her old community.

Reviews :
★ “Unorthodox is a lovely limited series the leaves you wishing there was just one more episode.” -Sarah Prevot ‘23

Inception

Average Rating: 5 stars

Where to Watch : Amazon Prime

Summary: Dom Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a thief with the rare ability to enter people’s dreams and steal their secrets from their subconscious. His skill has made him a hot commodity in the world of corporate espionage but has also cost him everything he loves.

Reviews :
★ “Mind-bending and exhilarating.” -Alison Sun ‘22

Parks and Recreation

Average Rating: 4 stars

Where to Watch : Netflix, Hulu

Summary: Basically it has the same plot of The Office but set at a Parks and Recreation department in Pawnee, Indiana.

Reviews :
★ “I really enjoyed this show. I watched it non-stop. By my third day of starting it, I was already on season 4. Super entertaining.”

Community

Average Rating: 5 stars

Where to Watch : Netflix, Hulu

Summary:A sitcom about a community college and a Spanish study group (from said college) filled with a bunch of random people.

Reviews :
★ “Hilarious.” -Katie Asness ‘21

★ “The show is really funny and often parodies other TV and movie tropes” -Noor Rekhi ‘21

Derry Girls

Average Rating: 5 stars

Where to Watch : Netflix

Summary:This show follows a group of girls in Ireland in the late ‘90s.

Reviews:
★ “Absolutely hilarious.” -Cecilia Lux ‘20

Ugly Delicious

Average Rating: 5 stars

Where to Watch : Netflix

Summary: Cool and funny show about food culture.

Reviews :
★ “So well done and immerses the viewer into food culture as David Cheng breaks his own food paradigms.”

Criminal Minds

Average Rating: 5 stars

Where to Watch : Netflix

Summary: FBI solves different cases but some carry over to each. I promise you will become emotionally attached to the characters.

Reviews :
★ “11/10.” -Kayla Ketchabaw

Saving Private Ryan

Average Rating: 4 stars

Where to Watch : My Flickr

Summary: It’s a movie about World War 2 so if you don’t like those then I don’t recommend it. It’s also sad.

Reviews :

★ “It’s very inspiring but sad.”

Dead to Me

Average Rating: 4 stars

Where to Watch : Netflix

Summary: A woman’s husband dies in a car accident and when she meets a stranger, everything changes.

Reviews :
★ “So many twists and turns you wouldn’t expect every episode there’s a new shock.”

That ‘70s Show

Average Rating: 5 stars

Where to Watch : Netflix

Summary: Super funny, about a bunch of teenagers in the ‘70s, starring Ashton Kutcher.

Reviews :

★ “Not for everyone but I love it. Hilarious relationships, kinda like friends but with teenagers and in the ‘70s” -Schulyer Sargent ‘21